Culling the Stash, Part 1Saturday, March 09, 2013
Hey everyone! So sorry I've been AWOL for a couple weeks. I've been feeling discouraged with my photo quality lately due to not having a decent camera, buut I have a camera in mind that I might buy soon. I don't want to post swatches/looks until having a higher quality camera to ensure everything is colour-accurate and nice to look at. I currently use my iPhone 4S's camera, which works alright but lately I've been noticing some of the photos I take are grainy/noisy, so I want to improve upon that as soon as possible.
Anyway! I was inspired by Jayne of Cosmetic Proof to do my own version of her Sample Sundays series, due to my overwhelming stash of unused samples. This will be over a couple of months, though, as I've gathered quite a bit for this post. I will update at the end of the month with my progress, and so on every month (or less, depending on progress) with new additions/empties.
Here's what I have!
MAKEUP: FACE PRODUCTS
1. Silk Naturals Cherub highlighter (order, October 2011): There's only a small amount left, so I might as well use it up.
2. M. Asam Perfect Teint (September 2012 Topbox): I received this primer sample in a previous Topbox. I'm not really a fan of the texture/smell, but I'll give it another shot.
1. Benefit Dandelion blush (February 2013 Topbox): This sample is pretty big (almost half the amount of a full size), so I probably won't finish it in the next couple months, but I do want to make a habit of using it.
2. Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm (free sample with order, January 2013): Received this sample during Urban Decay's end-of-year sale (which I still need to blog about -- I had an American
3. Benefit Benetint (January 2012 Topbox): I'm just not big on stains for some reason... I gave the other Benetint sample (from the Feb '13 Topbox) to my sister. Watch me end up loving this one and wishing I had kept the second!
4. Benefit Girl Meets Pearl (part of a contest prize, December 2011): Pretty liquid highlighter. It has lasted a looong time.
5. Benefit The Porefessional (April 2012 Topbox): One of two deluxe samples I need to used up.
6. CoverFX Skin Prep FX Primer (December 2011 Topbox): I'm almost done of this. I like CoverFX's primers, and I might end up picking up a full-size at some point (I know they are currently half-price at Shoppers!)
1. Stila Prime Pot in Taffy (October 2012 Topbox): This is a big sample so I probably won't use it all any time soon, but I hope to make a dent in it.
2. Too Faced Shadow Insurance (order, late 2011?): This is actually full-sized, but I need to use it up because its butt exploded. :( I think it happened when I was on the plane to/from Toronto last year. It's still fine to use but I want to finish it ASAP.
3. Urban Decay 24/7 Shadow Pencils in Delinquent and Rehab (order, January 2013): More deluxe samples from my UD order. These were in the mystery TSA bags, and I'm happy I got shades I would have picked out anyway!
4. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Pencil in Whiskey (order, January 2013): Free sample from the UD order. This is actually my first UD pencil liner! I was hoping for the coveted Zero or Perversion, but this shade is nice too.
5. MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Eyes Pencil in 0L Mat Black (November 2012 Topbox): I've used this a few times already and I quite like it. I think the MUFE Aqua Eyes are supposed to be comparable to UD's liners?
1. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars in Pretty Boy, Anime, and Queen (group decant, September 2012): I haven't used these very much as I need new lip brushes. The tube has the same amount in it as the clamshells; I just wanted to have one for blog purposes.
2. Urban Decay Lip Junkie in Midnight Cowboy (order, January 2013): Another sample in one of the TSA bags.
3. Benefit Dandelion Lip Gloss (February 2013 Topbox): I probably won't finish this soon (or the UD gloss), but it's pretty and a nice layering gloss so I will probably get a good way through it.
4. Stila Lip Glaze in Sweet Orange (Winners, early 2012?): A full-size version, but there doesn't seem to be much left. Nice bright orange for spring months!
MAKEUP: SHEET/FOIL SAMPLES
These are sort of arranged haphazardly, sorry! I'll try to do a sort of clockwise listing from the far left:
1. L'Oreal Revitalift Miracle Blur (free sample offer, February 2013): I guess this is supposed to be a primer.
2. Stila In the Garden palette (October 2012 Topbox): Little sample palette. I should get a few uses out of each shade, hopefully...
3. Urban Decay Half-Baked and Evidence / Primer Potion (order, January 2013): Another free sample with the UD order, two more shadows in the same vein as the Stila samples, plus a small sample of UDPP.
4. Yves St. Laurent Touche Eclat (February 2012 Topbox): I think I've never used this because I'm scared to like it, as it costs $50 in Canada!
5. Benefit The Porefessional (swap, April 2012): A sample from a swap last year.
6. Urban Decay Primer Potion x2 (order, January 2013): More tiny samples of UDPP!
7. BB Creams -- Marcelle BB Cream (free sample, early 2012, Shoppers), Etude House Precious Mineral All Day Strong BB Cream (swap, April 2012): I have a full size of the Marcelle BB cream but it's just a tad too dark for me... I still want to love it though, so the sample will be used up. I've never tried an Etude House product before so I'm excited to try that.
8. Amore Pacific Moisture Bound Tinted Treatment Moisturizer SPF 15 (swap, April 2012): Two pods -- one fair and one light. I love the idea of pairing two shades together!
9. Benefit Fine-One-One (February 2013 Topbox): This product has been getting mixed reviews so I hope this small sample gives me a good idea of its quality.
10. Essie Sleek Sticks x2 (free sample offer, March 2013): I have two because my mom gave me hers. :) Four designs with two stickers each, so these will most likely be used for accent nails.
Top Row, L-R:
1. Clinique Clarifying Lotion 3 (January 2013 Topbox): This is burn-y from all the alcohol in it, and probably not so good for my skin, so I already know I won't be purchasing a full size. Still going to use it up though!
2. MAKE UP FOR EVER Sens'Eyes Eye Makeup Remover (March 2012 Topbox): This does its job well, but it's annoying to get out of the bottle.
3. philosophy Purity Made Simple 3-in-1 Cleanser (September 2012 Topbox): I love, love my Black Magic more than anything, but I'll use this cleanser in the morning.
4. Clinique Repairwear Laser Focus Wrinkle & UV Damage Corrector (January 2013 Topbox): I doubt there's enough in this sample to really make any difference, but we'll see.
5. Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel (December 2011 Topbox): From my very first Topbox! I've used about half of it; time to finish it.
Bottom Row, L-R:
1 Dark Circle Under Eye Treatment (February 2013, Sally's): I don't think this even has a brand name, but anything that could potential help my dark under-eye circles is worth a go in my book! I bought this at Sally's 50% off clearance sale so the price was actually $1-something. Nice.
2. Weleda Pomegranate Firming Serum, Firming Night Cream, Firming Day Cream (January 2013, Winners): These come from a Weleda sample pack I bought at Winners for $10. I've been using them for a few days and I am liking them so far!
3. Neutrogena Men Triple Protect Face Lotion SPF 20 (Neutrogena sample giveaway, May or June 2012): I use men's moisturizers when I get samples because my husband won't, LOL. I've been using this for a while and it is nice, though has a strong, generic men's product scent.
4. Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer SPF 45 (Neutrogena sample giveaway, May or June 2013): I love how this has SPF 45 and I might consider picking up a full size if I like it.
SKINCARE (FOIL SAMPLES)
1. Tony Moly Red Appletox Honey Cream (swap, April 2012): Mm, apples! This is a moisturizer and will be my first time trying a Tony Moly product.
1. Nivea Light Moisturizing Day Care (free sample offer, sometime in mid or late 2012): Another moisturizer sample. I find Nivea products boring for some reason. Maybe this will change my mind?
2. NeoStrata Men Soothing Moisturizer (free sample from Shoppers, January 2013): Another men's moisturizer, see above for reason, LOL.
3. Elisha Coy Ice Herb Whitening Water Drop (swap, April 2012): A whitening moisturizer. I don't think I've ever tried any whitening products before.
1. Garnier Body Intensive 7 Days Ultra-Softening Lotion Shea Butter (free sample offer, February 2013): I have a full size of this in cocoa butter, but I'm getting sick of cocoa-scented things so I hope I like this scent better.
2. Nivea Express Hydration Body Lotion (free sample offer, sometime in 2012): It's shaped like a bottle!
3. Jergens Daily Moisture (free sample offer, late 2012?): I think Jergens is underrated! Need more Jergens love in here.
4. Lilly Pilly Natural Kakadu Plum Hand & Body Creme (February 2012 Topbox): There was a larger size sample of Lilly Pill creme in another Topbox, which I used up. It's fairly nice.
1. Joica K-Pak Color Therapy Restorative Styling Oil (Luxebox, sometime in 2011): This is so old it's from back when I still subscribed to Luxebox! There's only a bit left though because most of it leaked out.
2. John Frieda Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Controlled Lightening Spray (free sample offer, early 2012): I've used this before, and actually have a few more sample sizes and a full size to use up. This does work! I use them to gradually lighten my roots.
HAIRCARE (FOIL SAMPLES)
Clockwise from top:
1. Missha Dong Baek Gold Shampoo (swap, April 2012): Giggling over "dong" ...
2. John Frieda Frizz-Ease Hair Serum (SampleSource, fall 2012): More hair oil! Or serum, I guess.
3. Ojon Damage Reverse Instant Restorative Serum (free sample I think, late 2011): Aaand more. You can tell from the date I don't use hair oils that often!
Wow! So this got much lengthier than I expected! There are 59 products for me to use up. I'll be posting an update at the end of the month with my progress. Cross your fingers for me!!
Items either purchased myself or received free. All opinions are my own.